Wisdom teeth are back molars usually formed from the ages of 17 to 21. Due to their late development, they often can cause problems such as crowding, impaction, or infection. These can harm your smile by shifting or cracking surrounding teeth, or having the wisdom tooth not fully erupt in the jaw, which can cause discomfort and lead to oral infection.
In these cases, wisdom tooth extraction is needed to relieve pain or prevent any further complications. At Balaci Dental Group in Annville, PA, our aim is to provide patient-centred, first-class care to ensure you are relaxed and informed throughout your treatment. If you think you may have a problem with your wisdom teeth, we strongly encourage you to book an appointment with us today!
What to Expect with Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom tooth extraction is a common procedure and is performed as a day surgery. Anesthesia or sedation dentistry will be used so you don’t feel any discomfort during surgery. Extraction can last approximately 45 minutes but this can vary depending on each patient’s case and number of teeth impacted. Treatment will be carried out by one of our dedicated dental experts and they can talk you through every step of your procedure.
Once your treatment has finished, you will still feel tired from the sedation. For your safety, we highly recommend a family member or friend driving you home. We advise you to follow these guidelines for the first 24 hours, post surgery:
- You will need to rest after surgery. Lie propped up on a pillow to prevent prolonged bleeding.
- A gauze will be applied to stop the bleeding. You will be provided with fresh gauzes to apply when needed. Bleeding is normal after surgery but if it continues after 24 hours, contact us immediately.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. When drinking, try not to use a straw as this can prolong bleeding.
- Eat soft foods or stick to a liquid diet.
- Vigorous tooth brushing or mouth rinsing should also be avoided.
Medication and ice packs can also help with any pain or swelling you are experiencing post extraction. Our team will ensure any concerns will be answered before and after treatment so we can put you on the right path to recovery.
At Balaci Dental Group we pride ourselves on providing safe, personal and effective dental care to the Annville, PA community. If you want to learn more about wisdom teeth extraction, book an appointment with us here. We look forward to hearing from you!